WRITTEN NOTES ONLY PLEASE - NO PHONE CALLS
- The Attendance Office will require a written
note from the parent after an absence.
- No phone calls will be accepted.
- Bring a parent note the first day you return to school. Please
include: the student's last name, first name, grade, ID number,
date and reason for absence, parent signature, relationship to the
student and a phone number where you can be reached in case of
- Important: If you do not bring a note by the second day of your
return, the absence will remain a "cut".
- Students may not be permitted to make up work missed
during a period in which they "cut".
- Absences for the following reasons are NOT cuts and not
withstanding E.C. 48200, a pupil shall be excused from school when
the absence is:
- Due to his or her illness.
- Due to quarantine under the direction of a county or city
- For the purpose of having medical, dental, optometric, or
chiropractic services rendered.
- For the purpose of attending the funeral services of a member
of his or her immediate family, so long as the absence is not more
than one day if the service is conducted in California and not more
than three days if the services is conducted outside
- For the purpose of jury duty in the manner provided by
- Due to illness or medical appointment during school hours of a
child of whom the pupil is the custodial parent.
- For justifiable personal reasons, including, but not limited
to, an appearance in court, attendance at a funeral service,
observance of a holiday or ceremony of his or her religion,
attendance at religious retreat, attendance at an employment
conference, or attendance at an educational conference on the
legislative or judicial process offered by a nonprofit
organization. When the pupil's absence has been requested in
writing by the parent or guardian and approved by the principal or
a designated representative pursuant to uniform standards
established by the governing board.
- For any student 16 years old or older, with a GPA of 2.5 or
higher, for the purposes of serving as a member of a precinct board
for an election pursuant to Sec. 12302 of the Elections code.
- Participation in religious instruction or exercises in
accordance with district policy.
- A pupil absent from school under this section shall be allowed
to complete all assignments and tests missed during the absence
that can be reasonably provided and, upon satisfactory completion
within a reasonable period of time, shall be given full credit
thereof. The teacher of any class from which a pupil is absent
shall determine the tests and assignments, which shall be
reasonably equivalent to, but not necessarily identical to the
tests and assignments that the pupil missed during the
- For purposes of this section, attendance at religious retreats
shall not exceed four hours per semester.
- Absences pursuant to this section are deemed to be absences in
computing average daily attendance and shall not generate state
- "Immediate family," as used in this section, has the same
meaning as that set forth in Section 45194, except that references
therein to "employee" shall be deemed to be references to "pupil"
For additional attendance information including Truancy
Intevention, Transfers and Open Enrollment, refer to pages 20-22 in
the SMJUHSD Handbook found at this link:
LEAVING CAMPUS DURING
THE SCHOOL DAY
Parents / guardians who need to take their student out of school
during the day must be prepared to show identification at
the Attendance Office. Only those persons listed on
the student's medical emergency information will be allowed to take
the student from school. The school appreciates every effort
made by parents to schedule appointments outside of the school
Being on time to class is expected. The amount of time
provided between classes is more than adequate for all students to
arrive on time. Students arriving to class after the bell
rings will be considered "TARDY. Initially, each teacher will
deal with tardiness to class. Students will face disciplinary
action as outlined below if tardies continue.
POLICY - Board approved 5-9-07
1st, 2nd, 3rd tardy
- Parent contact
- One hour detention assigned before or after school
- Parent/student/teacher conference
- Signed contract
- 3 hours of Saturday School OR 4 hours after-school
Withdraw from class for current term with no grade.
Copyright © 2012-2013 Pioneer Valley High School